IPDX Is Nucleating
We’ve been eagerly contributing to the network for the past two years and we’d love to continue doing so. You can help us - we can help you!
What’s the point of a Fractional DevEx Team?
Until now teams and engineers had time. We had time to work on core products, we had time to work on testing, time to maintain high quality standards, time to maintain automations and work on efficiency.
With nucleation, it will become critical to focus on software that contributes directly to the core business and spend as much time on it as possible. This means trade-offs. This means less resources assigned to CI, automations, code quality, testing, etc. This means more risks.
Our goal at ipdx.co is to help teams focus while maintaining standards and moving fast.
Who Are We?
Piotr and Laurent. Team that brought you….
Video, and links.
Screenshots and references to what we do.
By nucleating we want to execute on our original vision: a productivity Engineering Team supporting the entire network!
- Under Steve’s supervision, Piotr created the team in Nov 2022. He has made tremendous progress, took over Unified CI, created GitHub Management, GitHub Observability, Self-Hosted GitHub Actions Runners for Open-Source Communities. He educated EngRes about latest standards in Developer Experience and led a multitude of organization-wide initiatives following security breaches, deprecations, QoL improvements.
- Laurent joined in Feb 2023. He took over Testground and grew the community around it, and coordinated successful ownership transition to Celestia. He designed and implemented a comprehensive IPFS Gateway testing framework, deployed it to all implementation across the organization, empowered external teams to benefit from it and created a beautiful dashboard to make his work accessible.
- Together we’ve improved dev’s life across the network. We were always eager to blur and cross the lines and make our work be beneficial beyond our immediate surrounding. We deployed GitHub Management across the organization, advised teams across the PLN on their GitHub usage, and collaborated externally on projects we deeply cared about (see Starling Lab).
- On January 1st we are going to nucleate as ipdx.co
- We believe this is the natural extension of the vision we set out for ourselves on day 1 - To empower PLN to innovate by simplifying and accelerating their workflows.
- We want to introduce our ipd^x model to the world i.e. we are the conduit for Developer Experience improvements across the network - by helping you, we’re helping everyone around us!
- In 6 months - 1 year
- Our business is sustainable! We don’t see nucleation as disruptive for our team - it only accelerates the natural transition towards emphasising creation of network goods. Having said that, we want to continue doing to do what we do now because we’re the best at it! We intend to learn from each customer within PL, PLN, or external.
- We aim for linear growth of the company
- We’re following these values
- Unique, Trustful, Joyful
- In 1-2 years
- We successfully grow our team and our network of clients. This boosts our impact and makes us the developer experience layer of PLN.
- We have a set of products that have an immense effect on our productivity, quality of life of our clients, and their impact! Such as GitHub Management, GitHub Observability, Self-Hosted GitHub Actions Runners for Open-Source Communities, …
- Thanks to working with a wide variety of clients, these solutions are validated - we can think about productizing our services.
Where we are on our Nucleation Timeline
Reaching out to teams
- We are reaching out to teams that are already nucleating or will be nucleating in the next few months. We are gathering commitments based on this Statement of Work.
- We are also reaching out to teams outside the PLN. We are gathering commitments there as well.
Setting up a new Entity
- We are searching for support & funding within PL to help us create the entity
- We are talking with PLGE, Financial Services and Commercialization Services teams about bootstrapping our branding, improving our site, setting up a comm. plan, etc.
Gathering initial funding
- Startup Grant
- Retainer Agreement for Paid Services
- Partial Match of new PLN Business
Statement Of Work - Network-Wide Services
Nucleation Support for teams
We would like to offer any team nucleating, or thinking about nucleating a chance to use our services: setup high quality CI, improve their release process, add automations, monitor their GitHub usage, setup custom and faster CI runners, etc.
Est. between 1 and 3 days / week
Network Wide Github Management
We would like to continue serving all the organizations we are maintaining right now with our configuration as code infrastructure. We believe this is needed more than ever and this will facilitate the transition to PLv10.
Est. 1 day / week
Continued Support for projects we are already working on
We believe the work that IPDX was doing until now is still useful, and worth continuing. Amongst other we are working on and maintaining:
- Unified CI - Used by X repositories
- Self Hosted Runners - Used by Y organisations
- IPFS Conformance Testing & Dashboard - Supporting the IPFS Specification process
Est. 5 days / week
We allocate 2 engineers, 3 days per week to Protocol Labs.
Starting on January 1st 2024 until July 1st 2024.
We will be “on-call” for any team in the Nucleating Network. Their request will “consume” the days allocated to Protocol Labs. This will let us validate our packages while PLGO supports the nucleating teams. PLGO will have the liberty of passing on the cost to the future entities.
For days that where not consumed by the network, we will be working on continued support for projects we are already working on.
Process & Communication
- The team will be available in #ipdx on FIL Slack,
- The team will create a Slack channel dedicated to interacting with our point of contact at PLGO
- We will send monthly summaries of what was done and how each internal clients consumed the time allocated to PLGO,
- We will propose regular check-in call (likely monthly) to share progress and update the agreement if needed.
- The team will provide a Notion “request template” for nucleating team to get started,
- For each internal client request we’ll schedule a 30 minutes introductory call, propose a timeline with a plan and price. Then have a Go/NoGo call with the team to start.
- Internal Clients will get
- A custom Slack channel dedicated to our interactions,
- A regular check-in call (likely weekly) to share progress and share feedbacks,
- A DevEx report with recommendation, recap of the work done, and potential follow-ups when the work is completed.
Reach out to
@laurentsenta on Slack.